Whenever I buy chicken, I buy it in the economy packs, which generally give you eight decent sized chicken breasts at a fair price. Usually I'll bake four of them right off the bat, to be used in recipes during the week. (Also great for cutting up to toss on salads or use in lunch wraps.) As such, I'm always on the look out for new recipes that use cooked chicken, and lately, this has become one of our favorites. Don't be put off by the large ingredient list. Almost everything here is self-contained. All you have to do, really, is chop an onion..(well, and the chicken if you haven't done that already.) Then it's just a matter of mixing things together and layering them in a baking dish. Easy. (ish)
- 2 1/3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can cream style corn
- 1/2 cup eggs (2 eggs)
- 1 (8.5 oz) package corn bread mix
- 1 4oz can green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (x 2)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Melt margarine in a small skillet over med-high heat. Saute onion and garlic until tender, 4 to 6 minutes; set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine chicken, green chiles, mushrooms, sour cream, salt and pepper. Spoon over corn mixture to within 1 inch from edge.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. (Edges should be golden brown.)
Add a little more salt/pepper to taste. Yeah, it sort of looks like a mosh of stuff...and it is. But it's a delicious, hearty meal for a cool winter evening, and it tastes amazing! Kids will love it. Spouses will love it. Everyone is happy, and you look pro! Which is great...because making you look pro is what Killer Gourmet is all about!