Friday, November 30, 2012

Chicken with Red Wine Sauce


Real connoisseur's will wince at this admission, but I love cooking wines.

When my brother and I were children, on a few rare occasions, we were allowed sips of red wine. Usually it was connected to the holidays, but sometimes my father just indulged our curiosity. While I loved pretending to be drunk, I always hated the taste - an unfortunate prejudice that followed me into my adulthood. Forget the Manischewitz...I didn't drink anything with alcohol in it at all.

For years, I avoided recipes that included wine in its ingredients, assuming I wouldn't like them either...but finally I gave in and tried one, and I've been hooked on Holland House ever since.  So, if you're like me and know nothing about wine but want to try something new, this recipe is for you. :)

Chicken with Red Wine Sauce

Ingredients : 
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 lbs boneless chicken breast
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup red cooking wine 
  • salt and pepper to taste
  Directions:

Cut chicken into small strips.

 
Heat oil in skillet over medium/high heat. Stir fry chicken with garlic and onion until chicken is no longer pink and its juices run clear. Sprinkle with paprika and brown sugar.  *I* use two heaping tablespoons of minced garlic, myself...but then, I love garlic.


Pour red wine around chicken. Lower the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, lightly basting chicken as you cook.


 The wine will slowly thicken and your chicken will pick up a beautiful caramel color. Towards the end, you can leave the lid off to help the sauce thicken if you like.


Season to taste with salt and pepper, but keep in mind that cooking wines have a higher salt content than regular wines. You might not want to use any at all. I serve mine over white rice (I serve everything over white rice because I have a microwave rice cooker, and that thing is the bomb!) but this goes perfectly with spaghetti as well.


Easy, tasty and fabulous looking!!  Make it this weekend. It will be a perfectly yummy surprise for your hungry family!






No comments:

Post a Comment